As I sat down and started to look at next year, I got overwhelmed really quickly. It is so easy to get caught up in little details of curriculum choice, philosophy and planners. And while these are all necessary, I think the first thing that we need to do as homeschool moms is to set boundaries.
As a precursor to that goal, I have created 16 affirmations that I am speaking over my school year. I have them printed out and glued them into the front of my planner. These affirmations will guide my year ahead.
- I will ignore the number on the front of the curriculum and teach to my child’s ability level.
- I will value stamina over completion.
- I will allow my child to set the pace of how quickly we move through the year.
- I will resist OVER planning (especially during the summer).
- I will add unexpected enchantment and delight to my lesson plans.
- I will value relationship over completed worksheets.
- I will be observant of our environment and find ways to manipulate our environment in order to to create better lessons.
- I will forge my own path.
- Our homeschool will feel like us.
- I will focus on my student’s strengths.
- I give myself permission to school my children the way I know is best.
- If I don’t know the best way. I will find it.
- I will listen to my children’s point of view and let them drive their education.
- I will make time for fun!
- I will make time for myself and my own hobbies.
- I will make the benchmark for my child’s progress my child. NOT an arbitrary external source.
And as we move through the year, I am giving myself permission to add to this list! Because we all know that homeschooling is far from a sprint. It is more like an epic odyssey.
Do you have any affirmations that you want to add to the list? Please tell me about them! Add them to the comments and we will make a huge master list!